I've made it to Fairbanks. It took 6 days, driving 8-12 hours each day, totaled somewhere around 3,500 miles. I took the scenic route, going far east out of my way to visit Sam in the Rubys and see some National Parks in Canada.
A nice send-off on the NV 722.
Lamoille Canyon, Ruby Mountains, Nevada. A must-do for anyone within a day's drive.
45th Parallel: Halfway between the Equator and the North Pole - somewhere in Idaho...
Up to Banff National Park now, British Columbia, Canada. This is the "Crow's Foot Glacier".
Jasper National Park, a little further north now, but still Canada. Canada is huge. I mean enormous. You could literally drive all day and still be in the same province.
Ah, the mysterious sign post forest of Watson Lake, Yukon Territory.
Encouragement! First time I saw Fairbanks on a road sign. (Fairbanks 1010 km: "think metric")
The northernmost land boarder crossing in the US. And probably the most relaxed...
This is Maya and her dog Viva. I found her stranded at the "Top of the World" Highway, Canada and USA border. She was eager to stuff herself into my car. We had to tie a few things to the roof...
Like I said... we had to tie some stuff to the roof. This is somewhere on the Alaska side.
That's the view from the top of the world. I can only imagine how it looks in the winter.
Some people lived here. . . once.
Tundra, as far as the eye can see in all directions. That's about all the pictures for the drive! I'm working on a video which I hope to post real soon.
Patrick