Sunday, May 16, 2010

Dinner and a Show

The nearby town of Fox, Alaska consists of a gas station, a bar, a restaurant/brewery, a truck weighing station and a public water source. I like to call it the Fox Watering Hole. I had just returned from Fox with eight 5 gallon jugs of water and a some takeout from the brewery, because I didn't feel like cooking. I backed in the car, and proceeded to enter my house as usual. After I put the key in the door I noticed Apollo was on high alert.
I turned behind me to see a young moose chomping away at some willow bushes in my front yard. "Young" by no means equates to small. This guy was probably 3 or 4 years old and maybe 7 feet tall at the shoulder. Apollo was only about 10 feet from him. The moose didn't like this very much, but he stood his ground. I called Apollo back, and, interestingly enough, the moose didn't mind my yelling to the dog and continued right on chomping.
So there I found myself in a lawn chair on the porch, beer and burger in hand, dog sitting diligently at the edge of the stairs, and a moose meandering in the brush not more than 20 feet away. Dinner and a show, Alaska style.

P.S. Note the sunrise/sunset time in the little box to the right ---->
The darkness has just about left entirely.