Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Snows and skis

The snow is stacking up these days, turning Fairbanks into a true winter wonderland - complete with temperatures well below zero. The other night my car thermometer registered a -22F in the lowest part of Goldstream Valley! Lucky for me, I am at a slightly higher elevation.


The snow falls so slowly and steadily that it can balance on just about anything. Its even a surprise when the wind blows. Here the branches have caught snow well beyond their size and are feeling the weight.

All this snow means it is time to hit the trail! I've been doing some classic cross country skiing on trails around campus for exercise. Last weekend Oliver, Brittany, and I trekked out on a trail only about 30 miles out of town. But as you can see, it doesn't take very long to isolated...

Here I admire the master winter fire-maker at work. Those Norwegians know how to do winter!

One pair of socks wasn't quite enough at -5F, so I had some warming up to do. Also pictured is Oliver's pot of campfire hot cocoa (stirring with a stick). Pure awesome. Like I said, Norwegians know how to do winter!


The angle of the low winter sun make for some spectacular lighting. This is about mid-afternoon. The above photo is my favorite winter shot yet. You can click on it to see a larger version.